Monday, March 10, 2014

ASB Destination Day 1: Boys and Girls Club of Greenville

Hello, my name is Meghan Swartz and I am a sophomore Art History major at the University of Memphis. I am a member of the University's Alternative Spring Break Destination 2014 program. This year we are traveling to Greenville, MS Shreveport. LA and Little Rock, AR. Today was the first official day of ASB, the day we started service. We spent the day in Greenville, MS. I was in the group that went to the Boys and Girls Club to help out up swing sets, paint old swing sets, set tables and benches into concrete, and spend time with the kids.
We arrived early to the center eager to begin the tasks we were talk about, however we ran into a few bumps in the road. We ended up running into  a few bumps in the road. The woman in charge of the club was running late, and we did not have all the equipment we needed to get started on the tasks at hand. We did not let that discourage us though. We found work to do in sorting out the two swing sets and making sure each set have all the pieces it needed. We finished that and found we still had some time on our hands before we would have all the supplies we needed. We went outside to look over the projects and to get a better understanding of what all we would need to do once we had our supplies. We found a few basketballs in the gym we were in and began to shoot around and play some games.
Soon the woman showed up, and she had brought her grandson Brian with her. We gave her a list of supplies and she was on her way to retrieve them for us. While we waited we became acquainted with Brian and played some basketball with him. He was very talented and he and I even played a few games of one-on-one together. He won one and I one the other. We were then introduced to a guy who also goes to the Club, Shorty. He is a college student as well and he even played a few games with us. Shortly after that, the woman returned with the supplies we needed, and we went to work on different projects, each eager to accomplish as much as possible in the short amount of time we had left.
I was on the swing set assembly job. Once we had power tools I was able to but the rock wall part of the swing set quickly. Then Quinn and I moved on to trying to put the slide together. What we thought would be an easy task turned into something quite difficult. We ended up enlisting the help of Cedric, Sydney, and Raven to complete the slide. This is probably one the hardest tasks I have ever had to complete, but it was fun working with the others, and we felt very accomplished when the slide was finished. In the last bit of our day we had the help of the second group who had finished their tasks and came to the club to help us. Once we finished the slide we had enough time to assemble the main braces of the monkey bars before we had to pack up and leave to head to Shreveport. Although we did not complete all the tasks put in front of us for the day, I feel we still did a lot today that made a difference, and we made the most of the time we had. My high for the day was definitely using my hands and building the playground. What I learned from to day is that I can take the skills my Dad taught me and teach them to others and that they really are useful and can be put to a great cause. So far ASB 2014 has been great and I can not wait for the rest of the week.

-Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment