Monday, March 10, 2014

My Greater Experience

My name is Rachel Hicks and I am a senior Political Science major attending the University Of Memphis. I was blessed with the opportunity to participate in Alternative Spring Break. Today we went to Greater Greenville in Greenville, Mississippi. Greater Greenville is a nonprofit organization similar Habitat for Humanity with an emphasis on home renters. I learned that the Greenville community is small and struggles with poverty, but it is alive with tenacity and compassion. My group worked with cleaning up, painting, and pressure washing apartments owned by Greater Greenville. While working, I learned that poverty is nothing that can't be tackled. I was impressed and inspired by the compassion Mr. Daniel and Mrs. Ruth had for the community and they're dedication to seeing all of their tasks through. This experience was so touching and took a poignant turn when Mr. Daniel and Mrs. Ruth, the Greater Grenville coordinators, surprised us with pizza and Christmas ornaments with their business information. Their acts of kindness proved to me that service is truly a rewarding and necessary human experience. The lessons I learned today will last me a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment