Friday, March 14, 2014

ASB Destination: Serviceland


My name is Bre'yocha Mays and I am a freshman Pre-Nursing major at the University of Memphis. I chose to participate in Alternative Spring Break because I understand the importance of serving communities and the duration of Spring break was the perfect opportunity to serve.

Our day started with a tour of Heifer Ranch outside of Little Rock, Arkansas. Heifer is an organization that once provided animals to families as a way of teaching them how to survive. Heifer has never been, or will be, a relief program! Heifer no longer ships animals off (from the U.S., but rather from areas neighboring those they are serving.) It serves as an educational organization that made a great impact on our group. Mrs. Berta showed us a video that provided great insight to the importance of the animals that Heifer shipped off. The animals served as a gateway opportunity to education for the women of Nepal, India. Owning an animal also provided encouragement and motivation for the women to have their own voice in society as well. Heifer Ranch is filled with llamas, camels, chickens, hogs, cattle, water buffalo, and goats. Mrs. Berta provided educational information about each animal and even gave us the chance to feed the camel apples! (I was too scared to participate!) Heifer also provided a very eye-opening look to other parts of the world with its Global Village. The Global Village had setups to show us what it would be like to live in houses of Guatemala, Thailand, Zambia, and the slums. Being at Heifer Ranch hit home with me because it brought me to memories of my younger days when my cousins and I used to explore in the woods. We also had a clubhouse that resembled the slums a lot! This experience caused me to be grateful and appreciative of my life and all that I have been given.

After leaving Heifer Ranch, we drove to the Arkansas Food Bank. At the food bank, we unpackaged many boxes of food and sorted them into categories. We had to be very careful when checking expiration dates so that no harm would come to those receiving the food. I enjoyed being at the food bank because our group worked so hard and in sync to finish our task. It was so fun and a team-building experience!  I also learned that food banks are very important because they provide food for many different surrounding populations, and that food banks sort of get the first call for disaster relief.

Next, we drove to Little Rock Central High School to tour the museum and get a view of the school
up close. It was a great experience to actually see the school in person and get a feel of life in the 50's and 60's by visiting the museum. Little Rock Central High School made me realize and appreciate the importance of education. I am so grateful to have had the chance to visit this historic location and learn many facts about it.

Alternative Spring Break has been a great experience to me and I have absorbed a lot of knowledge, facts, and skills from it. I have also developed many friendships along the way! ASB will hold many memories and I look forward to another one in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment