Monday, March 10, 2014

Day 1 of Service- ASB Destination

Hello all, my name is Quintessica Pegues. I am a senior Sociology major and Marketing minor at the University of Memphis. I am a person who enjoys doing service works, so I've been anticipating this trip. Our first day of service was spent in Greenville, Mississippi. The church that allowed us to stay the night was amazing which started the trip off well.  For my groups' service activity for the day, we were supposed to fix up a playground at the local Boys and Girls Club. What I found fascinating was how long that particular center had been a part of the community. One of the staff workers, Ms. Hines, informed me that the center had been running for about 20 to 25 years. It was a little disheartening to me to know that because the center is no longer in the best of conditions. Ms. Hines says on an average day they can have 80-100  kids there, which made me anxious to get started beautifying the center. Unfortunately, because of a lack of supplies and the time it took for the site director to obtain supplies we were not able to seriously start working until a few hours after our arrival. But when we were able to start my group was amazing. The determination each of us had for getting as much done as we possibly could was uplifting and contagious. We cemented benches back into the ground, painted a picnic table, picked up branches that were all over, and began assembling a playground set plus a bit more. Us working the way we did in such a short period, really impacted me. I learned from that situation; that no matter the circumstances when there is a job or task to be done, if everyone remains positive and willing to seriously work we can always make a difference and influence change and attitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment