Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 1: An Awesome Start to an Awesome ASB!





Hello! My name is Veronica Wilson, and I am a sophomore nursing student studying at the University of Memphis. My whole life I had grown up around the great city of Memphis, but until I moved to the University I realized that I had no idea how truly great the city was.  There has been so much about the community that I have longed to experience and be exposed to, and ASB Staycation has provided an amazing way for me to not only learn about Memphis but also to passionately serve its people without the stresses of studying. I believe our first day has been the perfect kickoff to an upcoming week filled with excitement and impact!
Today, we began our journey in a super sweet place known as Knowledge Quest at 990 Park Memphis, TN (I give the address in hopes you’ll share news of this cool place).  Knowledge Quest is a free after school program that serves all students from kindergarten through eighth grade mostly around the South Memphis area, but students from all over are welcome! Students come to the center to decompress and relax after a day of studying, to work on homework, to have help with homework, and to engage in creative activities that aid in their learning. They also have opportunities to be exposed to and participate in piano lessons, ballet dancing, and art activity! Our team met with one of the sweet coordinators, Mrs. Toria, and we did some “spring cleaning” throughout the different classrooms. It was definitely one the most pleasant experiences I have ever had in regard to cleaning! The whole team was just happy to be there, and everything turned out neat and lemony fresh! I had no idea that the community offered a place like this for the kids, so I was very excited to have seen it for myself. The experience definitely showed me that there is a much greater care and passion for Memphis’ youth than I thought, and Knowledge Quest is definitely a gem to be shared with others. After finishing our cleaning tasks, we had an amazing lunch of pizza from the Memphis Pizza Café. If you have never had their pizza, you should definitely make it a ‘must’ on your “experience Memphis bucket list.” The second part of our day was also a treat. Our team had the opportunity to go the Shelby Farms and help plant a mess of baby trees, and the weather could not have been more beautiful. With excellent teaching and help from staff member Mrs. Irene and some really nice teamwork, our team was able to plant about 150 new trees! We had no idea that we would be able to plant so many! We were also able to help push a gentleman’s truck out of the mud; unfortunately, we were unable to get him unstuck, but the team made it a fun and funny experience. It was a super cool feeling to look across a field of once-potted trees all snug in the ground. I can’t wait to see their progress in the future. Overall, the day was a true blessing. I learned that it wasn’t just the amazing places that brought about so much joy to others, but also the passionate and caring people who made the places a reality. I cannot wait to see what the rest of the week brings and to meet all the new faces coming our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment