Monday, March 10, 2014

Heart Touching Greenville


    Hi, my name is Kayla Young I am a sophomore nursing major with a sociology minor from Atoka, TN. My experiences with ASB so far have been so eye opening! Our first day was spent mostly traveling and settling into Greenville, MS. We were so grateful to be welcomed by the First Baptist Church in downtown Greenville. The accommodations they made for us were so wonderful. The second day our of trip was split broken into groups. I got to experience a side of Greenville I have never seen. I have traveled to the city before with my job but never had the opportunity to venture through the city. My group worked with a nonprofit organization called Greater Greenville. The two employees we met, Daniel and Ruth, shared so much knowledge with us about the city and it's history. The organization is focused on providing adequate housing for the less fortunate allowing renting and home ownership options. We helped them to clean up some of their units by pressure washing, painting, picking up trash, and painting new parking lot stripes. I could tell that the few residents we talked to were very appreciative.
     What really hit home for me was the hearts that the people we worked with had. They knew what the city used to be and the beauty of if was very apparent. It was nice to see that people like Ruth and Daniel had not given up on it. They work so hard to do all that they can for the poverty stricken community. I learned that every little bit of help can contribute to a bigger picture. I am thankful I got to experience what I did today because the lessons I learned and the knowledge I gained will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment